twenty-one and reverses
January 21, 2012
This is red foil with star shaped holes over orange silk with yellow/gold thread. Still foiled, still gold stars, just some kind of reverse osmosis.
I have learned some things about foil.
- it is very (very) shiny
- it does not hold or carry details well, implying
- it works better on large areas than small areas
- it is only smooth when you don't want it to be (and conversely)
- the surface is easily roughed up or removed
- gluing it makes for random splotches rather than any kind of pattern
- fusible web is tricky in small pieces
- stitching over it is not productive although it can make for an interesting distressed look
- don't be cheap with foil – one piece doesn't work over more than one ironing, so just plan on using it in a profligate fashion
- I don't much like it
Having pushing it around for three weeks, and run out of gold, I think I am done with gold foil. I'll make gold stars on the rest of my red circles for January in other ways.